Arriva Italy to operate specialist reduced mobility service
In partnership with Meditral, Arriva Italy will operate a specialist service in Rome that will benefit students with reduced mobility and special educational needs.
Credit: Arriva Group
Arriva Italy has announced that it has launched a specialist service as part of a new contract – which began on 10 January 2022 – in Rome to provide dedicated transport for students with reduced mobility and special educational needs. Arriva will serve 80 per cent of the contract in partnership with Meditral, a health sector transport specialist, which will serve the remaining 20 per cent.
More than 240 specialised vehicles will join the Arriva fleet and be used to serve the contract on 228 routes, transporting around 1,000 passengers every day. Each vehicle can accommodate nine passengers and two wheelchairs.
Commenting on the new contract, Dominic Palleschi, Interim Managing Director of Mainland Europe for Arriva Group, said: “As a company that strives for inclusivity every day, we are extremely proud of the team in Italy who have worked in partnership with the Rome passenger transport authorities to design a solution which will continue to make the city more accessible for its students.”
Arriva has been operating in the Italian market since 2002, providing urban transport services mainly in Northern Italy, as well as shuttle services to Turin Airport and the Milan airports. The company operates around 100 million bus kilometres a year in Italy, with 2,500 vehicles and 3,500 employees.