Strengthening public transport in Berlin (BVG)
After partnering in September 2018 for on-demand ride-pooling service BerlKönig, find out how Berliner Verkehrsbetriebe (BVG) and ViaVan’s collaboration is strengthening Berlin’s public transport.
The Berliner Verkehrsbetriebe (BVG) launched the ViaVan-powered dynamic on-demand ride-pooling service BerlKönig in September 2018. Berlin’s public transport system is renowned as one of the best in the world – reliable, comfortable, safe and ecofriendly. However, a consistently high modal share of private motor vehicles (2018: 30 per cent) suggests that many vehicle owners reject traditional public transport. To make the mobility offering of the BVG more attractive and to achieve better coverage during off-peak periods, the public transport operator is now providing a service with no fixed routes or fixed schedules that pools riders going in a similar direction: a supplementary, fully-flexible, on-demand shuttle.
With the BVG and ViaVan, two strong partners with complementary competencies joined forces in a research and development cooperation. To find out more about their collaboration and how public transport can evolve using demand-responsive services, download the full whitepaper below.
Related content from this organisation
- Delivering Demand‑Responsive Transport in the West Midlands
- Public transport data and the next steps for better operations
- How to build a demand-responsive transport network in just 10 minutes
- The British city revolutionising local transport with DRT
- Arlington expands on-demand transportation network to cover entire city