E-scooters begin rollout across five districts in Dubai
E-scooters arrive at Mohammed bin Rashid Boulevard, Dubai Internet City, 2nd of December St, Al-Rigga, and Jumeirah Lake Towers in Dubai.
Mobility hubs lend themselves to micromobility modes such as e-scooters
E-scooters have officially launched across five districts in Dubai following work to prepare supporting infrastructure and legislation.
Dubai’s Roads and Transport Authority (RTA) has selected five micromobility providers to operate e-scooters in the cities:
The news comes shortly after coordination by RTA and Dubai Police on safer cycling and the safe implementation of micromobility.
RTA has been busy preparing and designing landmarks and signage for scooters, as well as tracks and shared tracks with bicycles. It has also been establishing new legislation to enable the safe rollout of the scooters, alongside the rules to be followed by operators and users. Riders must:
- Be of at least 14 years of age
- Wear a protective helmet and appropriate gear and shoes
- Park at designated places
- Avoid blocking the movement of pedestrians and vehicles
- Leave a safe distance between e-scooters, bikes and pedestrians
- Neither carry something that causes imbalance or a second passenger
- Observe traffic signs
- Refrain from using dual headsets
- Abide by the instructions, regulations, guiding and warning signs on the tracks
- Inform the relevant authorities when any accident occurs, whether the accident caused harm to others or not.
RTA has stated that failure to comply with these instructions and stipulations will be treated as a violation of the Federal Traffic Law.
The scooters can be found throughout five districts in Dubai:
- Mohammed bin Rashid Boulevard
- Dubai Internet City
- 2nd of December St
- Jumeirah Lake Towers
“Sustainability is a core value of our company,” said Lawrence Leuschner. CEO and co-founder of TIER. “We we are honoured and excited to be selected as the top choice by the Roads and Transport Authority to support them with their journey for a greener tomorrow, by providing our services to Dubai’s residents and visitors alike, whilst allowing them to move around the city in a more sustainable, convenient and lively way – a new era in urban travel.”