Dott, TIER and Voi commit to higher e-scooter standards
Posted: 23 July 2020 | Sam Mehmet (Intelligent Transport)
The operators have committed to higher levels of sustainability standards and practices across e-scooter manufacturing, operations, end of life and lifecycle emissions.
Dott, TIER and Voi, the European micromobility operators, have announced that they are jointly committing to a higher level of sustainability standards and practices across all areas of the e-scooter industry.
Combined, the 10 environmental and social commitments cover the e-scooter’s full lifecycle. The operators have committed to:
- Using at least 20 per cent recycled material in all new e-scooters from 2021
- Purchasing all new e-scooters with swappable batteries from 2020.
- No precarious ‘gig’ work in any market, and committing to living wage standards
- Responsible growth, with no flooding of streets
- Running all warehouses on green energy by end of 2020
- Using only electric vehicles for recharging and maintenance of fleet by end of 2021.=
- Taking steps to mitigate the risk of e-scooters ending up in waterways and combining resources to retrieve e-scooters from waterways in cities where we are jointly active.
End of life
- Never demolishing an e-scooter, and recycling parts that cannot be repaired or reused as spare parts
- Finding second-life solutions for all functioning e-scooters.
Throughout the e-scooter lifecycle
- Calculating the carbon emissions during the full e-scooter lifecycle and offset the emissions.
The coalition will appoint an independent body to monitor, evaluate and report progress on all e-scooter commitments.
“Sustainability is at the core of our industry and the value that our service brings. It is important that we take responsibility for our practices and are held to the highest standards so that consumers and cities can have complete faith in the sector and our way of operating. We’re inviting all other companies currently operating in Europe to join the movement and commit to these sustainability standards,” said Henri Moissinac, CEO and co-founder of Dott, Lawrence Leuschner, CEO and co-founder of TIER and Fredrik Hjelm, CEO and co-founder of Voi.