The BRT system in Belfast providing cleaner, more efficient public transport
In partnership with Cummins, Intelligent Transport catches up with Chris Conway, Chief Executive at Translink, to find out how the introduction of the Glider bus rapid transit system is encouraging more people to use public transport while reducing emissions and improving punctuality.
In our interview with Chris Conway, we found out about the impact that bus rapid transit has had on the city of Belfast, its wider public transport network and the passengers coming in and out of the city. Read now to find out:
- Why BRT has been implemented in Belfast
- How successful the system has been so far
- Whether the BRT system is having an impact on modal shift
- The environmental impact the new buses are having
- How passenger numbers have increased and what their feedback has been like
- What the future holds for Glider.
There’s also exclusive insight from Cummins – the company that produces the Euro VI clean diesel engines that power the Glider buses. From them, find out:
- How their engines enable better, more fuel-efficient bus operation
- The sheer number of hybrid buses they’re powering across the world
- How the Cummins engineers work with bus manufacturers
- How Cummins has ‘right-sized’ the engine in the Glider buses without compromising performance.