All Change for Sandwell Buses
Posted: 8 October 2012 | Centro | 1 comment
Improved links to hospitals and the Merry Hill shopping centre are just some of the benefits on the way for bus passengers across Sandwell…
Improved links to hospitals and the Merry Hill shopping centre are just some of the benefits on the way for bus passengers across Sandwell.
Changes to some bus routes, services and numbers aimed at enhancing the network for new and potential passengers will come into effect on October 28 following a major review of services by transport authority Centro, bus operators, Sandwell Metropolitan Borough Council and Birmingham City Council.
The review includes making improvements to services to key locations in Sandwell as well as neighbouring Birmingham, Dudley, Walsall and Wolverhampton.
There will be more services to City Hospital in Winson Green, Birmingham and to the showpiece Merry Hill shopping complex in Brierley Hill.
There will also be more services to Sandwell General Hospital in West Bromwich, Neptune Health Park in Tipton and Rowley Regis Hospital as well as improved links to rail and Metro services.
Cllr Roger Horton, lead member for Sandwell on Centro, said: “This has been a massive public consultation exercise over three months with exhibitions and community meetings.
“Centro and its partner organisations have worked hard to establish a new, simpler to understand bus network that gets people to where they want to get to, when they want to go.
“When we consulted the public we were asked for better links to hospitals and improved services to railway stations, so I am delighted that we have been able to do that with our bus operator partners.”
Other improvements to the network include:
- An easier to understand network with the same daytime, evening and Sunday services
- New numbers to give Sandwell bus network its own identity
- More buses to West Bromwich complementing the new college and Cronehills development.
- Improved evening and Sunday services.
- More buses to key centres including Oldbury, Birmingham and Dudley.
- New services for Langley Green, Bristnall Fields, and Lawrence Lane.
- Better bus waiting facilities including 200 new bus shelters.
- More electronic information displays with live bus information.
- Reworked timetables to provide more punctual and evenly spaced services
Cllr Kath Hartley, Centro’s Lead Member for Putting Passengers First, said: “This review will mean great improvements for people travelling, visiting, living and working in Sandwell and surrounding areas.
“It offers a network fit for 21st century bus users in the borough, utilising modern technology, providing more buses that give the best possible service and a viable alternative to the private car.”
The new network will be signed up to as part of a three year partnership deal with bus operators, Sandwell Council and Centro that will attract millions of pounds of additional investment in the network.
This includes bringing Real Time Information to bus stops across the borough, more new buses, and improved infrastructure at key centres.
A series of exhibitions will be held across Sandwell to inform passengers about the new network.
They will take place on:
- Thursday October 18, 10am to 2pm – Network West Midlands (NWM) marquee by Stone Cross shops, junction of Walsall Road/Jervoise Lane.
- Friday October 19, 10am to 3pm – Exhibition at ASDA, Blackhouse Lane, Great Bridge.
- Saturday October 20, 9am to 1pm – NWM marquee, Bearwood Bus Station, Bearwood.
- Saturday October 20, 2pm to 5pm – Cradley Heath Interchange.
- Monday October 22, 10am to 3pm – NWM exhibition bus at Wednesbury Bus Station, Loxdale Street.
- Tuesday October 23, 12pm to 6pm – Static indoor exhibition at West Bromwich Bus Station by the Travel Information Centre.
- Wednesday October 24, 10am to 4pm – NWM marquee at Oldbury by Council House/Sainsbury’s.
- Thursday October 25, 2pm to 6pm – NWM marquee at Sainsbury’s, Halesowen Street, Blackheath.
- Friday October 26, 10am to 2pm – 10am to 2 pm – NWM bus at Windmill Centre in front of Peacock’s and Pure Gym, Cape Hill.
- Saturday October 27, 10am to 3pm – NWM marquee at Tipton Shopping Centre, Owen Street.
- Tuesday October 30, 10am to 3pm – NWM marquee at West Bromwich Markets, High Street.
- Thursday November 01, 11am to 3pm – NWM exhibition bus at Oldbury by Council House/ Sainsbury’s.
Passengers can find more information about the changes by logging on to www.networkwestmidlands.com/busreview or downloading our NetNav app, which is available for Android, iPhone, and iPad from www.networkwestmidlands.com/apps