Increased services for Docklands Light Railway (DLR) routes
- Love This
- Yahoo Mail
- Facebook Messenger
- Copy Link
Posted: 25 August 2015 | Victoria White
DLR customers are benefitting from an increase in services after extra trains were added to a number of the routes this week…
Docklands Light Railway (DLR) customers are benefitting from an increase in services after extra trains were added to a number of the routes this week.
The changes follow improvements made earlier this year to make services faster and more frequent across large parts of the network, and form part of a series of work over the next three years that will see a more frequent service across the whole DLR network.
The new services include:
- A third more trains between Stratford and Lewisham during the Monday to Friday morning peak. This will mean a train every four minutes between Stratford and Canary Wharf;
- Increased frequency between Stratford and Canary Wharf during Monday to Friday off-peak periods. This will boost capacity by 20%, an additional 1,100 customers an hour;
- Twice as many weekend trains between Stratford and Canary Wharf from 08:30-22:00 on Saturday and 10:30-19:30 on Sunday;
- Twice as many trains between Bank and Lewisham on Saturdays between 19:30-22:00.
The seating layout will change in more than a third of DLR trains
A new seating layout to increase the space available inside DLR trains is also being introduced, making it easier for customers to board. Between now and the end of 2015, more than one third of DLR trains are being converted to have seating along the sides of the carriage to make it even easier to move between the seats. Despite the change in appearance, the converted cars will have exactly the same number of seats as before.
Transport for London’s Director of the DLR, Rory O’Neill, said, “The DLR has been an integral part of the regeneration of the Docklands and south east London since it started operating back in 1987. Today we carry over 100 million passengers a year and that figure is set to rise. We have been making improvements to the service and will continue to do so over the next few years to help meet growing demand as London’s population continues to rise.”
Other service changes include:
- The current Beckton to West Ham service will now terminate at Canning Town;
- Last train times will be earlier on some routes into central London by up to 30 minutes. Customers are advised to check before they travel.
London, United Kingdom
Docklands Light Railway (DLR), Transport for London (TfL)